Sunday, January 3, 2016

Uncle Paul & Aunt Ellen

Left Early Sunday Morning
1. We left at 7:00 and stopped 2 hours later at Bakersfield
for Sacrament meeting. It felt just like a Sacrament meeting at home.
When you think about it, it's amazing.
We got to Paul's about 4:00 in the afternoon. It was so good
to see them, and Ellen was very happy to have some company.
I remember this bookcase in my Grandpa & Grandma's home.
You lift up the glass door by the knob and it slides to the
back and then get your book. 

2. We got some fresh air the next afternoon by picking up the
small branches their grandson had trimmed a few days earlier.

3. Ellen says she has never seen the mushrooms grow like this in her yard.

4. Tom's wife invited us over on Thursday night for Serene's birthday
celebration. She's turning 11, so I told her about all my 
grandkids who are eleven or will be soon.
5. Her sister Annelise made her a cow cake


6. Before dinner with Ellen & Paul. We had homemade
pizza and I have a new recipe for sauce. It's almost like
Barbecue sauce, but had a hot kick to it also. 

7. Thor, who recently got home from his mission in Indiana, 
lighting a bonfires. He was in the same mission that Amanda,
Ralph's daughter is in. He picked her up at the airport, so they
got to meet each other.

8. Becky, the one who showed me how to make the pillowcases,
is showing us a new craft. We'll do it when we get together again.

9. Dad made some Frappe for New Year's Eve - at 9:30 

10. Ellen had written her life history for a Golden Gleanner project in
Denmark just before she left. She actually received the award when
she got in Logan. It was all in Danish. Dad scanned the whole 
handwritten notebook that pictures on each page.
Ellen and I then sat and she translated it as she read to me.
I typed and we had a great time. I didn't know anything about
her conversion and her life in the Horsens, Denmark Branch.
I then put in the pictures and we ended up with an 18 page history.
The next day, Dad and I went and made copies of it for her and each of her 
children and we put it in a notebook.
Then she remembered another one she had written in 1978,but there weren't
any pictures, but we had been scanning and identifying pictures
from Denmark. Anyway, we ended up with another 8 pages.
It was what we went out to do. We had such a good time and
now Ellen's family has her story. 

11. Ellen and I just before we left.

12. We went through Lassen National Park. This is out the car
window. I'm very glad we came home Saturday. We  had
completely dry roads and clear weather. 

We had a wonderful and hard time at Paul & Ellen's.
My brother is so much worse. He's really gone downhill since
we saw them last March. I don't know what will happen.
One time he was very agitated, because he didn't know what 
we were doing there or what we wanted.
Another time as he walked in the kitchen I told him I
loved him, and he said he loved me and kissed me on the cheek.
It was worth the drive to get that kiss, and to see how happy Ellen
was with her history.
We just don't know what this life will give to us,
but we do know we are here together to make it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment